Sunday, January 23, 2011

Babe-A Fett: Part 1 New Clay!!!

So while my Stormtrooper was curing, I started my next project. 

The name "Babe-A Fett" is a working title, but the point is that she is a female Mandalorian who's armor is specifically styled after the Sarlaac snack.

I started off with my normal wire sculpture and went to work.  Things progressed very quickly with this piece because I took a step in the right direction:  I got "real" stone clay to work with.  The difference is astounding.  The medium is still water-based clay, so it will "dry" with time, and the higher quality was apparent the moment that I added the first bit of detail.

Another thing that I did differently was to anchor the wire frame to a "pedestal" for easy transportation and rotation while i worked.






This is where I got to before dinner.





And this one is from later that night.  As you can see the clay holds detailing a LOT better.





In my days of "replacing" all the lost Star Wars toys from when I was a kid (they were numerous, but you could say that I was "robbed" of them) I bought everything I saw on clearance no matter what kind of as a compulsory  sickness.  Now, I have an absolutely insane collection of miscellaneous Star Wars crap that I have no emotional attachment to.  I found a 12 inch Jango Fett in one of my bins with a rocket firing backpack!!!!!

SCORE!  It isn't a hard shape to make in clay at ALL, but a rocket firing backpack was too tantalizing.  I also used Jango's knee guards, honestly, because they literally fit like a glove over the boots that I had sculpted.  I think they look nice.





Okay this picture is from the next day after work, right before I went to bed.  See how quickly the progression?  I am trying to not sound like a braggart. I realize that I am obviously regaining skills that I had let dwindle over the years, but the level of malleability is astounding.





ROCKET FIRING BACKPACK!  Oh, and you can see some detail.





The belt, with the distinctive Fett pouches.


The Mandalorian chest plate (obviously altered for gender specific reasons), padawan Jedi braids, and you can just see the cape over the left shoulder.

1 comment:

  1. I like. Thanks for sharing.

    And mine. I don't think you can "follow" it...

    http://cozmikcowgirl.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete