Saturday, January 22, 2011

EK-0205: Part 3 The Molding

Every single thing that I have ever molded and cast was poured metal into a earth-clay mold.  You know, so I always "broke the mold." 

Ha.

This was a new experience for me, and loads of fun.

My clay choice came back to haunt me right as I started to mold the piece.  Her left satchel feel off and shattered, so I was forced to quickly sculpt one and mold her without the clay there time to properly cure.

Big mistake for me.

The Smooth On branded kit that I used coats the piece in liquid silicone coats that get progressively "harder".  As the clay that I used on her satchel didn't properly cure, the silicone in that area wasn't allowed to properly cure and the mold collapsed in these areas. 

But I prevailed.

Pictures of the process:






Note the re-sculpted satchel.





The straws are for "vents" because the shoulders are a little higher than the arms, which makes them higher than my pour point through the neck.  The short of it is that I wanted to make sure that the arms were allowed to be filled with plastic.





The "shell" is a two-part mixture that hardens to keep the mold in the right shape.

I molded the head separately, and when I made the outer shell, I shaped it such that it formed the silicone portion to the altered shape that I wanted.





EK-0205 cast in Plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment